If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:
www.Alaska.PreppersNetwork.com
Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.
Join our forum at:
join our facebook group at:

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Late Blight and I am freaking bummed.


Last weekend I got to our cabin, looking forward to 4 days of relaxing, sleeping, tending the garden and being a bum. Well I got to do 2 of the 4.


When I went into my hot house after inspecting the cabbage (no heads yet), broccoli (little heads) and the cauliflower (little heads), and I noticed something odd. Some of my Tom’s leaves were turning brown and had weird fuzz on the leaves. I didn’t think anything of it, and clipped the leaves back and making sure the weird looking mold wouldn’t spread. Then I noticed it on the herbs, the same weird mold. So I clipped what was bad herb wise. I then went to my peppers and saw it on some of their leaves and clipped those leaves off. What in the hell is going on?

I put down my scissors and went outside of the hot house to inspect my radishes, taters and a few other items I had planted. The last thing I inspected was the taters. They were as green as they were last year, until I noticed that weird brown fuzzy mold stuff on some of the taters leaves. I stop in my tracks. I knew anything that was on the taters was a BAD sign. I went inside and got online, first asking over at our APN forum if anyone knew about mold and then looking up garden mold. The first thing that popped up was blight. OH NO! I looked at as many pictures as I could and came to the conclusion I have late blight. Yeah, you can say I was pissed.

I think I know how I got it. A Tom I had not started from seed myself was brought into the hothouse and it must have been carrying the blight. We added a new irrigation system this year as Hubby and I are busy people and we both forgot to check what setting our automatic timer was set too. And it got chilly. That was all that was needed to spread the blight around.

But here is what I don’t get. How can it spread to the peppers? And the herbs? Yeah I know it is a mold ….. but blight doesn’t usually hit peppers or certain herbs due to their composition. I am still waiting on a reply from the extension services as to if they want a sample or not as I still have not touched the garden. The water for the irrigation has been shut off for a couple weeks and I was hoping for some warmer weather. Well it looks like that isn’t going to happen as it is raining again.

I just hope my cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower and a few others make it through.


*the pic is from another Gardeners sites, but that is exactly what I have.*
------------------------------------------
Join the APN Forum at http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/
Visit the Alaska Forum at http://www.alaskapreppersnetwork.net/

2 comments:

Aloha2U said...

I remember when that happened to my tomato plants, boy was I disgusted and had to upchuck my plants. It only hit my tomato plants nothing else. I've got new tomato plants growing now so I'll have to wait and see if it happens again, hopefully not.

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Upinak, Oh, how disappointing about your plants!! It's so hard to see your hard work ruined like that. But, the most interesting part of your post was......you said HUBBY, not boyfriend!!! Was there a wedding we didn't know about????????????????

Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer
AlaskaPreppersNetwork.com Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Alaska Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.