If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:
www.Alaska.PreppersNetwork.com
Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.
Join our forum at:
join our facebook group at:

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My new and light B.O.B.

I thought I would talk about my mini B.O.B. today as I am thinking very hard on what to put together. It will be small… hopefully no more then ten pounds total.


I have a good backpack that I bought out of state years ago by NorthFace at an outlet store. I like it because it has a few extra pockets and spots for other things which I will talk about as well as an area for a camel back water bladder.

So what to pack in it? I thought about this for quite a few days. I purchased at REI for reasonable prices a magnesium striker, a little waterproof match holder, a tiny mag lite and most important… some water electrolyte tabs made by Camel Back. I bought the little tab’s (which are in a hard case and round and very light) rather then the little on the go electrolyte packages as I can easily find this little container and use it later if needed.

I have a small first aid kit for only dire emergency basics in it in which I will put in a small Ziploc bag (double bagged) as it had a water bottle with it and I couldn’t beat paying 5 bucks for it! I will have 3 water bottles with me at all times (not filled until needed). I will also have 2 changes of socks, flip flops, lip balm, a small lotion, a wash cloth and a travel bottle of liquid soap. I will also be carrying a double bagged pile of lint from my dryer, a double bagged roll of toilet paper (for the obvious and to help start a fire if need be) and a very small bottle to squirt with HEAT in it to help make quick fires. I am also packing for myself my GoGirl cup and a Diva Cup (Thanks Gen!) as you never ever know when you are going to need to go pee or have a monthly issue occur.

Now, what else I am going to pack is the question. I have BDU’s in woodland color. But I think I will just pack my bottoms… and only the summers. The reason is the summers dry out faster then the winter BDU’s do. Why BDU’s? Well when you walk for a long period of time, you will be losing quite a bit of weight. The clothes you decide to use for B.O.B.’s will actually be to large after 3 days and very baggy. BDU bottoms can be adjusted at the waist and taken up and they do not usually stretch out.

I will also pack 2 black t-shirts (one long sleeve one short), a black sweat shirt (with hood) and my black Columbia zip up jacket with a pair of stretchy gloves. I am buying a new pair of shoes soon… so the outdoor shoes I like to wear now will be put into the bag as well. They do not cause blisters and a very comfortable as well as dry out pretty fast. If you are wondering they are Keen.

Now I haven’t decided on food… but it would be very, very limited. Gum I will for sure stick in the bag as it is a great deterrent for the munchies. I will update you with a picture on what I decide to also add. Any other tips you would like to mention… please do so!



------------------------------------------
Join the APN Forum at http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/
Visit the Alaska Forum at http://www.alaskapreppersnetwork.net/

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Sounds good, so far. Another blogger has been soliciting opinions on the same topic - a light bag for, say, getting stranded for whatever reason, not more than 10 miles from home, but needing to make a circuitous route by foot.

Maybe extra socks?

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Good post! (Thanks for the shout-out!) You can tell us women--I have lotion and soap in mine, too! I also stuck floss in it because food in my teeth drives me crazy! (Not that I'll be eating too much, but, you know!) How about a pocket sized wild edible foods book? (Unless you already know that stuff.) Gum is a GREAT idea!! It always takes my mind off the fact that I'm hungry!
Rev. Paul, extra socks is a good idea!

Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer
AlaskaPreppersNetwork.com Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Alaska Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.